Thursday, November 25, 2010

November 20- Kapalıçarşı- The Grand Bazzar

Malls where we go to hang out with friends, where teenagers congregate in abundance, where we- of course- go shopping are a modern invention. So we would like to think.

Enter into the Kapalıçarşı -which is translated the "Covered Bazzar" but we like to change the names of things and have called it the "Grand Bazzar." This is the 'Mother of All Indoor Malls'! Imagine trying to navigate through 1,200 shops on 58 'streets.' I think you can buy just about anything. John Klentos and I were driven down by one of the Patriarchate drivers. I was overwhelmed with the sights and sounds of the place. I got a couple of things but really wasn't into haggling with too many shop owners. We stumbled into one area of the bazzar that was more of an antique area. I was royally ticked off because they had old icons and religious artifacts for sale. Who knows from what Churches or houses these icons and objects came from. They definitely were not factory made copies. 

Dr Klentos was on a shopping spree as he needed to get his presents before he left on Monday morning, just two days hence. I was just glad to get out of the Patriarchate for a bit. The phrase "çok pahalı" is one that every one needs to know before going to the bazzar which means "too expensive." Know what you are willing to pay for something before you go. Then low ball until you reach an agreement with the shop keeper. 


We barely scratched a portion of the area. Definitely did not hit all 58 streets but just a few of them. We needed to be back by 4:30 Vespers. He wanted to go by the spice market. I thought it was part of the Bazzar but a whole different area. We walked outside and I was getting hungry. All of a sudden as an answer to a prayer. There was the most delicious aroma coming from one shop. This is not your typical greasy festival gyro. This is pure meat on a very thin flat bread. No need for condiments it is tasty and juicy all by itself. With a glass of squeezed before-your-eyes fresh chilled orange juice it made for a perfect lunch.


We walked a little further down and finally hit the spice market. I have never seen anything like this- teas and spices that you have never seen- all before your eyes. You just wonder that this is the way people have been selling for ages. We stopped off at one store and ended up buying different types of teas. I haven't had coffee except for the cappuccino on Halki since I have been here. Its chai all the way. Every morning begins with two cups of fresh brewed chai. And its NOT Lipton. 


When I get back I am going to really drink tea. Its great anytime of day. Maybe the British know something we don't. I think the love affair with tea ended with the Boston Tea Party. Or, something like that.


Not to be outdone. There is even a PET Market. This is not your typical PetSmart store. No, this is just like the spice market but they have a variety of pet, pet foods, and pet snacks all for the asking- or buying. Leeches, they have those too. 


The good thing about traveling to different parts of the world is that you see how people live, work and play. We in the US have become victims of our own propaganda that says that we are the epitome of civilization. The "we're number one" mentality that discounts any other way of life, or any other culture. 

If I had the choice, I would not change the lifestyle to which I am accustomed in the US, but neither will I denigrate any other way of living. For them its just as a valid mode as mine. Some cultures may live simpler others more complex that what I am used to. But it still nice to experience that way of life- then come back to what I am used to.  The grass is not always greener on the other side. If it does look greener it might be because the sun may be blinding you.

1 comment: