Thursday, November 25, 2010

November 20- Liturgy at the Patriarchal Cathedral

As in most endeavors there are sometimes slow days when nothing seems to be going on. Had a couple of days of that going on. Then on Friday morning I was asked if I would celebrate the Divine Liturgy on Saturday Morning. Who am I to say no? So I agreed. One thing about the Patriarchate, the vestments of the Priest and Deacon match. The only thing I was asked to bring to the Patriarchate was my sticharion (the first vestment that a priest puts on) since it is really tailored to size. The other parts of the Priest's vestments can be used by different priests of similar height. I brought a whole set of vestments. So far I have not used the set at all. Maybe by the time I leave I will.

Deacon Grigorios was to be my deacon for the service. I'm glad he was there to guide me in the small intricacies of serving in the Patriarchal Cathedral. Things are done the same all over the world but at the Patriarchate there are a some subtle differences. For instance, when the Patriarch's name is commemorated during the services, all bow toward the Bishop's throne whether he is present or not. There are more metanias (deep bows) that are normally done in the parish. Of course, no clergy wear a cross- even if their ecclesiastical rank entitles them to it. Why? The Patriarch is the Igumenos (Abbot) of the Great Monastery which is the Patriarchate. The Igumenos is the only one to wear a cross. This is evident in a Hierarchichal Concelebration where the Metropolitans only wear an engolpion and no cross. The Patriarch is the only one with a cross (and crown). 

The opportunity to serve at the Patriarchate is a deep honor for me. The only thing even more awesome would be if I actually served with the Patriarch. Don't really think that is going to happen because the Patriarch only celebrates at specific times and there is a protocol of who actually serves. But you never say never, or something like that. The feelings that I expressed earlier when I was relating serving Orthros and Vespers never really abate. There is a connection to a historical past which continues into the present and the future.

The experience at the Patriarchate from a priestly perspective is just as important as the pilgrimage to the Holy Land in 1995. These are unforgettable periods in my ever-continuing formation. Some opportunities are thrust upon you, others are there for the grabbing. I am definitely leaving Constantinople a changed person.

People may say "Why doesn't the Patriarchate leave Constantinople and go someplace where he has more freedom to be the Ecumenical Patriarchate?" I think this is a shortsighted statement. Just take a look at the Holy Land. The land that gave Jesus Christ His Birth, witness to His Ministry, Death and Resurrection is being abandoned by Christians left and right. The economic opportunities are not there any longer since most Christians are Palestinian and they suffer just as much discrimination from Muslim Palestinians from Israel and probably feel discrimination from their Muslim compatriots. Two to three generations have been waiting for the restoration of their homeland and haven't seen it yet.

This is the situation that the Patriarchate finds itself. Who will take care of our religious inheritance if not for the Patriarchate?  Who will speak for our history in the face of those who would alter it? And alter they (the Turks) do.

No comments:

Post a Comment